- So there’s a Saw villain to start off with.
- “Twenty faces”
- There’s a bunch of gruesome imagery, but little character.
- More wacky coroner.
- Since discovering this is made by some of the people behind the Danganronpa anime, I really can’t unsee it.
- Seriously, what’s with the tied up naked woman threatening to pee herself?
- This is gross and creepy. And not in a good way.
- I guess that reveal was character-defining?
- So I still don’t understand this show’s deal. It’s a tribute to a short story writer, but this doesn’t seem very respectful so far.
- Clearly, the answer is to wait for it to rain.
- Sigh. It better not show the sister too much, or I’m done.
- “Only you can dress as a girl, super-effeminate main character.” I couldn’t possibly ask any actual women to do this for me, for some reason.
- Dude, he identifies as male and has nothing you haven’t seen before.
- Of course the abductor is fat. Sigh.
- Hm. Nothing to say because it’s confusing. It’s not really mystery or horror.
- I mean, it’s super Gothic in its own weird way, but still.
Can’t tell if I should keep watching or not.
- The hell is this teacher’s design.
- Is she meant to be a catgirl?
- Preserved? That doesn’t seem like it would be good to sit on. Formaldehyde smells.
- What is this hyper autopsy? It’s almost the opposite of Classroom Crisis.
- You know, usually there’s some element of puzzle-solving to this kind of thing. You’re supposed to have seen the stuff in the flashbacks.
- “If I become a chair, I can be with him forever”. They’re stating this so matter-of-factly for something so messed up.
- I’m confused. There are so many tone and structure problems in this.
- Ah. There’s the right tone–
- Suddenly the girl jumps out a window.
- That ribcage/heart chair was great, though.
- What is this supposed to be?
I feel like I have to continue with this, just out of curiosity. If the next one isn’t as macabre, I’ll probably drop it.
Some short opinions upon watching first episodes. Updated rather than making six different posts about future stuff.
- Actually, I Am – Wacky comedy hijinks. Something about secrets and vampires and it all seemed very rote. Might become good, but I doubt it.
- Aoharu x Machinegun – Someone pointed out that it was an Ouran ripoff, and it looks like it. I also think it wasted an opportunity to have watergun fights where the guys soak each other until they’re dripping wet. I mean, if you’re going for the fujoshi bait, you might as well go all the way.
- Castle Town Dandelion – It’s charming and girl-focused, with a setup that’s promising by not being too exposition-heavy. Could go either way, though I don’t know if the supernatural royalty games will keep my interest.
- Chaos Dragon – I wondered how anyone would adapt an RPG with such long and disparate backstories. Turns out, their answer was just to mush it all together and hope the names would carry it through. It’s an absolute mess, but interesting.
- Charlotte – I was barely following along, but I tried to keep up with it… right up until giant-eyed little sister introduced herself with a cute squeal. Sorry, not my thing.
- Classroom*Crisis – I didn’t hate it? It felt a lot like Ass Class, though, in that it might drag on without much to say.
- Gangsta – The character designs are cool, and it looks like it could be interesting. The only woman being literally referred to as a trophy didn’t inspire confidence, though.
- Gatchaman Crowds Insight – I like this show because its flaw is in thinking everyone has the potential to be a superhero. Being a superhero involves being more of an ideal than a person, so everyone being a superhero involves an idealised version of humanity. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me, because at least it’s trying to encourage empathy and helping others. I’d rather that message and ignoring underprivileged people than a message that exploits and shames them. And who knows, maybe the VAPE will be handled more delicately. I think “Hajime is a Mary Sue/Manic Pixie Dream Girl” comments are pretty sexist, though.
- GATE – I’m sure this is good, but my eyes glazed over at the mention of Otaku. It’s not even a fun hatewatch.
- God Eater – It’s slow, ugly, and takes itself seriously while being kind of boring.
- Himouto Umaru Chan – I got creepy vibes. Rational or not, too grossed out for this one.
- Monster Musume – I’m so fascinated and amused by how weird this is. Do people actually want to bang monsters? It has so many disturbing ideas, but I just couldn’t look away.
- Overlord – It really didn’t grab me, since if I wanted to play an RPG, I’d just play an RPG. I hope someone eventually dubs the guy’s lines over with Skeletor clips.
- Prison School – Another skeevy show that’s so over the top that I’m fascinated. They literally make one guy lick her boots, and the objectification montages are so shameless.
- Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace – I like mysteries, and this seems deliberately slow for effect. I’m curious to see more, because I get the feeling it’s saving its resources.
- Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers – Another one where I think it’s my fault that I lost interest. There was just so much exposition, even if some of it had pretty imagery.
- School Live! – The doggy is cute? I might watch another episode out of curiosity, just to see how it deals with the later development once it’s part of the show.
- Seiyu’s Life – This is way too perky for a job that seems really cutthroat and depressing. They also started with her thighs and panned upwards, so I’ll wait to hear that it’s wonderful or something before I look at it again.
- SHIMONETA – This show is basically for anyone who laughed at the bad language in South Park. It is so very dumb, and societies with this kind of censorship do not work that way. It’s basically an excuse to have some kind of ignorance fetish and swear a lot (with asterisks in the subs, which does dilute its message a little). I’m probably going to hatewatch it like I did with Otaku Teacher.
- Sky Wizards Academy – I’ve seen so many toothless shows about fighting magic girls, and this seems like more of the same. Sigh.
- Snow White with the Red Hair – I love the symbolism in this, though I’m not sure it’s entirely intentional. It’s also fantasy without too much exposition at once.
- Ushio and Tora – This is the kind of insufferable 90s comedy I think of when I hear “anime”. I’d rather watch one of the ones in my extensive backlog, because at least those come with recommendations.
Stuff I’m following (rule of three): Castle Town Dandelion, Classroom*Crisis, Gangsta, Gatchacrowds Insight, Ranpo Kitan, Snow White with the Red Hair
Stuff I’m hatewatching: Chaos Dragon, Monster Musume, Prison School, School Live!, Shimoneta
Wake me if there’s a fire: Actually I Am, Aoharu x Machinegun, Charlotte, GATE, God Eater, Himouto, Overlord, Rokka, Seiyu’s Life, Sky Wizards’ Academy, Ushio and Tora